DD MMM YYYY
Fort Hood officials warn of hurricane/tornado/flood
Fort Hood officials issued special control measures here because of a [hurricane/tornado/flood] _____________________________.
There were [no, minor, major] personal injuries and [no, minor, major] property damage.
[The injured were taken to (name of hospital(s)) by (type of transportation).
More information will be released as it becomes available.
Familiarize yourself with terms of a tornado hazard:
- Tornado Watch: Conditions are favorable for a tornado to form.
- Tornado Warning: A tornado has been sighted, is approaching, and you should shelter in place.
Prepare by determining shelter areas from a tornado in advance:
- The safest place is in a basement.
- If there is no basement, a center hallway, bathroom or closet on the lowest floor is optimal.
- Avoid areas with windows. Do not open windows.
- In a high-rise building, you may not have enough time to go to the lowest floor. Pick a place in a hallway in the center of the building.
- Inform visitors of a tornado and move them to safe areas.
- If you are outside, seek shelter in a sturdy building.
- If there is no time to get into a building, lie down flat in a ditch or depression; facing down, cover your head with your hands and arms.
- Develop a plan at home for you and your family and practice the plan often.
Be alert to changing weather conditions.
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information.
- Look for approaching storms
Look for the following danger signs:
- Dark, often greenish sky
- Large hail
- A large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if rotating)
- Loud roar, similar to a freight train.
If you are under a tornado warning take actions immediately:
- Never try to outrun a tornado in urban or congested areas in a car or truck.
- Instead, leave the vehicle immediately for safe shelter.
- Do not get under an overpass or bridge. You are safer in a low, flat location.
- Watch out for flying debris. Flying debris from tornadoes causes most fatalities and injuries.