FORT HOOD, Texas- On March 19, the Department of Defense’s new electronic health record (EHR), MHS GENESIS, launched here at Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center. MHS GENESIS has replaced TRICARE Online at this facility.
What is MHS GENESIS?
MHS GENESIS is the new EHR that provides you and your doctors enhanced, secure technology to manage your health information. When fully deployed, MHS GENESIS will be the single health record for service members, veterans, and their families. >>Learn More about MHS GENESIS
What is the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
Along with the new EHR, the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is a secure website available 24/7 that gives you access to your health information. Through the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, you can:
- View health information
- Schedule appointments
- Communicate securely with providers
- Request prescription refills
The MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is replacing the TRICARE Online Secure Patient Portal.
What does this mean for me?
MHS GENESIS and the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal are replacing TRICARE Online, including the patient portal and secure messaging at this facility.
- If you had a current TRICARE Online account, it was migrated to MHS GENESIS on March 19. No action is necessary from you.
- If you don’t already have a TRICARE Online account, you can log onto mhsgenesis.health.mil using your DS Logon Premium Account.
- If don’t have a DS Logon Premium Account or if you have questions about DS Logon, visit the milConnect Website or call 1-800-538-9552.
What happens next?
Appointment availability from March through June may be affected, and appointment times may increase as our hospital staff adjust to new technology and workflows. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we integrate MHS GENESIS to provide you with top-notch care. A list of additional resources are below that are available during this time. Please visit our website and social media sites for updates.
Nurse Advice Line (available 24/7):
- 1-800-TRICARE (874-2273), Option 1: speak with a nurse to be triaged and discuss your health care options
Doctor on Demand (temporary option available March – June 2022)
- 24/7 virtual access to medical care in the comfort of your home or office
- Register for an account at: https://doctorondemand.com/microsite/humanamilitary/ or download the Doctor on Demand app to sign-up
- Enter insurance information (TRICARE East); schedule a virtual appointment with aboard-certified provider within a few minutes
- Providers are able to write prescriptions,except for controlled substances,and place appropriate referrals at the treating physician’s discretion
- If you are pregnant,there could be limited medical care available to you through this option
- Customer Support: (800) 997-6196
- Active Duty requires a referral
They Treat: They DO NOT Treat:
|Cold and flu||Severe burns|
|Sinus infection||Chest pain and/or numbness|
|Skin rashes||Loss of consciousness|
|Asthma and allergies||Vomiting or coughing blood|
|Urinary tract infections|
|Headaches and migraines|
Network Urgent Care Centers (UCC)
- To locate a TRICARE authorized UCC, please visit: https://www.goperspecta.com/VPD/HumanaMilitary/public/ProviderSearch/Main
- No co-pay for active duty family members (retirees may be responsible for a co-pay)
- See what is covered here: https://www.tricare.mil/CoveredServices/IsItCovered/UrgentCare
- Active Duty requires a referral
Frequently asked questions
- What is MHS GENESIS? MHS GENESIS is the new electronic health record for the Military Health S ystem (MHS). It integrates inpatient and outpatient electronic health records across the continuum of care from the point of injury to the military treatment facility. It will also eventually be integrated with the VA health system. MHS GENESIS is integral in the provision and coordination of safe, quality care.
- What do I need to do? All information will be transferred to the new system automatically. Ensure your DEERS information is accurate and you have a DS Premium Logon or CAC access.
- How will this affect my current medical records? All current medical records will be transferred into the new system automatically.
- How will this affect my health care? Initially, you may experience longer appointment times or reduced availability. There may also be increased wait times at the pharmacy and for lab and radiology results.
- Can I still use TRICARE (TOL) to access my records and make an appointment? No, TOL is being replaced by the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal. Some of the same features will be available in the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal.
- What about my current scheduled appointments and referrals? Previously scheduled appointments and active referrals will not be affected.
- How long is the transition period? 60-90 days
- How can I make appointments during the transition? We encourage all beneficiaries to continue to call the CRDAMC Patient Appointment Line at (254) 288-8888.
- How can I send a message to my healthcare team or access my health information? You can register for the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal at:
- https://patientportal.mhsgenesis.health.mil/ and you will be able to access health information and exchange messages with your healthcare team after 19 March.
- When there are no primary care appointments available at CRDAMC, how can I access urgent medical care? Utilize the additional resources that are available: Nurse Advice Line, Doctor on Demand and Network Urgent Care Centers.
- What happens if I do not want to utilize one of the above options? You can call the Patient Appointment Service at (254) 288-8888 and request a message be left for your PCM. Please note during the transition the response time could be delayed.