FORT HOOD, Texas – III Corps and Fort Hood will render appropriate honors this week in remembrance of former President George H.W. Bush, who died Nov. 30. Most III Corps and Fort Hood offices will be closed Dec. 5 in honor of the National Day of Mourning for the 41st President.
Soldiers and Department of the Army Civilians will not report for duty. Contractors should contact their supervisors for guidance.
These honors are in compliance with Army Regulation 600-25 (Salutes, Honors, and Visits of Courtesy) and Presidential Executive Order 13852 issued on Dec. 1.
– All flags were be lowered to half-staff for 30 days.
– A one-round cannon salute was fired every half hour from reveille, 6:30 a.m., to retreat, 5 p.m.
– Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) facilities will be open except Wing Zone, which is closed.
– Clear Creek Commissary will be open. Warrior Way Commissary is closed as usual for Wednesdays.
– Carl R. Darnall Medical Center and its pharmacies and clinics will be open with limited administrative staff. Patients should check with their healthcare provider before going to their appointments. Beneficiaries may make or cancel using the TRICARE Patient Portal at www.tricareonline.com or by calling Patient Appointing Service at (254) 288-8888.
– The Directorate of Emergency Services essential police and fire services will continue. All access control points that are normally closed on a federal holiday will be closed. The police records office is closed.
– The Directorate of Family, Morale, Welfare and Recreation Child Development Centers and Child & Youth Services will be closed. Additionally, Army Community Service and Community Recreation Division services will be closed except for Abrams Physical Fitness Center and BLORA recreation areas. DFMWR’s Bowling, Bingo, Golf, Sportsmen’s Center and Club Hood will be open.
– All Directorate of Public Works offices will be closed, however, they will respond to emergency facility repairs or other issues as required. Their 24/7 service order desk will be available at (254) 287-2113. Units should call the service order desk to report facility and infrastructure issues. Normal service contracts will continue as well – custodial, refuse, etc.
– All other non-emergency services Fort Hood Garrison offices will be closed.
– Killeen Independent School District schools are open on post. For more information, call KISD public affairs at (254) 336-6810.
– The Fort Hood USO center will be open.
– A 21-gun cannon salute will be fired at one-minute intervals at noon.
– Another 50-round cannon salute will be fired at five-second intervals during the 5 p.m. retreat.
For more information, contact the Fort Hood Public Affairs Office at (254) 287-9993/0106. After hours call, the PAO on-call representative at either (254) 449-4023 or (254) 449-5298.